Welcome to Our Community!

Action/sports Camera Review (2 Products)

Discussion in 'Backpacking Gear' started by Feral Wolf, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Feral Wolf

Feral Wolf New Member

Ok, Trace is working his ass of to make this site the best it can be, and has many aspects of it to work on at the same time, meaning progress is slow going at times. At this point we are not able to "user-side" enter a review for a product not listed already. It was driving me crazy as I sat here staring at my gear wall and knowing I couldn't even post reviews on the products i have used, tested, added or removed from packing lists. Trace decided that the best we could do for the time being is to allow individual postings on the forums that when time allows could be moved to the review section. With that said, on to my first submission..

Background info: I do 90% of my camping either on islands, or next to a body of water. 75% of that is primitive camping. 100% of these outings requires all gear to be brought in your boat with you, you forgot it, your without it. It doesn't help matters that my boat is a kayak. Gear, clothing, food,water, medical, as well as any comforts all need to fit in a space that on occasion is half that of a backpack. The weight and footprint is also a huge factor. EVERYTHING needs to be multi-use, multi-purpose, and hopefully air dropped on location. Creature comforts like camera equipment and power sources are usually one of the first items sacrificed as they are not critical, require extra care, and cause extra headaches.

2 Waterproof Action/Sports Camera setups

Camera One

Gear-Pro High-Definition Sport Action Camera
    Rated by User: 3 of 5

Shipping Time---- average
    Packaging----
    safely arrived boxed and air-packed within another box
    Customer Service---- N/A. no interactions personally
    Information/Instructions---- very minimal, lacking in some regards

I bought this camera due to needing a reasonably priced water proof unit for boating. The camera itself seems to be one that will be broken or quit very shortly into its career, but has truly surprised me. I checked my records, as of the date of this review, this camera is with me for 15 months now. The waterproof housing has held up to a very abusive life, I mean slammed of a rock under water and ripped from the boat. The mounting systems are very poorly made in my opinion. I have just destroyed my third mounting set up and am now determined my own design is the way to go.

Picture quality is a maximum of 5 megapixel, and honestly has a lot of issues with light flares
    Video quality is pretty nice. There is no reason you would not be able to film something and actually enjoy the video playback with this camera. Again, I am bouncing up and down in whitewater and it still has a fairly steady picture, the auto focus works well.

Battery life is a down side. From a full charge this unit will get you about an hour of video recording. The battery is a fixed, internal, non changeable. Out of the last 15 months, that is the one issue that keeps bugging me.

This picture is from this camera on its maximum settings.

[​IMG]

Camera Two

Sj4000L New Edition Helmet Sports Action Camera

Rated by User: 3 of 5

Shipping Time---- fast
    Packaging----
    in its box, poorly set in another box, allowing for bouncing
    Customer Service---- poor, no returned email to date
    Information/Instructions---- Really nice multi-language instruction book, absolutely useless for operational help, I had to go to YouTube to find my solutions.

I bought this camera hoping to cure the battery life issue I was having with the first camera. This one boasted almost a 90 minute time, (steady 80-85 average on use). The camera itself seems to be a little more durable that my last, as well. The waterproof housing has a firm lock, and the buttons are strong. Also you can access all of your functions and features without opening the housing. The mounting hardware seems very rugged and is fairly universal with that of other, more expensive camera systems. The company includes alot of options with the variety of pieces included.

Picture quality is a maximum of 12 megapixel, a vast improvement over my other system. The frame rate for video recording is double that of my other one, allowing for a very smooth video, no jumping or skipping feeling what so ever.

Battery life is a an average of 80-85 minutes of non stop video recording. This can probably be extended if your cut down on some settings in the camera menu. The camera has a very large range of settings and adjustments available to the user, quite surprising for the price of the unit.

Main downside is the adhesive used to mount the hardware to a vehicle did not survive one full day on the water, I couldn't imagine what wind from a vehicle would do. Luckily, they provide cables as a secondary safety.

This picture is from this camera on its maximum settings.

[​IMG]

All in all I was very happy with camera one, minus battery life. Camera two seems like an even better purchase, but hasn't been time tested yet. The plus of swapping batteries is another large bonus. The main reason for reviewing these lower priced options vs the larger named camera systems is that personally I could not afford to "live and learn" with a $400+ system, these however will let me tailor mounts and options to my specific needs for a much smaller investment before "living and learning".

2. Feral Wolf

Feral Wolf New Member

Ok, an update to my post... Camera 1 is with me over a year now, and its mounting system still is working flawlessly, it attaches via notches in the main base plate that can be held by straps or small ropes.

Camera 2 uses an adhesive tape to hold its main bracket, which does not seem to hold more than 3 times out in freshwater, and did not last even 6 hours in salt water.

All in all, still a much nicer picture and ease of use from camera 2, just be wary if you use the tape for mounting